The most common configurations for connecting multiple devices are the star and mesh networks.
In its simplest form, a star network consists of one central hub which acts as a conduit to transmit messages. In a star topology, every device is connected to a central hub.
- If one node or its connection breaks, it doesn’t affect the other devices and their connections
- Devices can be added or removed without disturbing the network
- The central hub is a single point of failure for the network
In its simplest form, in a mesh network every device is connected to every other device in the network.
- There is no single point of failure for the network, so it has high security and reliability
- It is a more complex and expensive network than the star network